08 February 2011

Breakthrough

Today my son, Branson, concord every toy aisle in Target! (Yes this is a big deal)! In the past we would have to skip certain aisles in order to have a peaceful outing.  The BABY aisle and the MONSTER aisle are the two main aisles we skip, thanks to the motion sensor toys that go off when you walk past. We also have to make sure that children are not in the aisle, because we know that typically every button on every toy will be pushed and unpredictable noises and motions are just not how we roll.  Okay so that is a normal Target outing, but today was different.  First we started in the puzzle/game board aisle and made our way to the legos.  This was easy until Branson found new display boxes that light up and make noise as you pass by.  At first he back pedaled quickly and wrapped his body around my leg.  Then in a matter of moments he was interacting with the display by pushing the buttons and listening to the new sounds.  He even looked up at me and said "mommy do you hear that noise?"  Next we headed down the dreaded aisle of loud monster trucks, unpredictable dinosaurs, and scary monsters (star wars and wrestling figures).  This aisle ended up being the hardest, but he did it.  I did help him pet the dinosaurs and he even ended up pushing the sound buttons on a few trucks.  After this aisle the rest seemed to be a breeze.  We looked at every toy possible and even took home a rubber snake and a grasping claw.  I have to confess that it is days like this that keep me humble and I realize that we can find a thankful spirit in even the small things.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girly!! I haven't talked to you in ages:) I just wanted you to know that i've been reading some of your blogs....i'm just amazed by you! I am an Occupational Therapist and work with kids with SPD on a weekly basis. Some of the kiddos have other issues as well (autism, ADHD, Down Syndrome etc...) I just want you to know that after reading your blogs about your daily experiences, I really have a whole new outlook on SPD. I see kids 1 to 2 times per week for 30 minutes and then send them on their way. I give parents ideas to help their child throughout their daily lives....but reading these posts have really made me stop and think! It really is the small things in life that we take for granted. It's those small little battles we fight (and win) to walk down the toy aisle, sit through a meal at a restaurant or at home, play with other children,or get dressed in the morning. I truly have a better understanding of what day to day life would be like.....being on the opposite end of it (being the parent, not the therapist). I plan to share your blog website with parents and teachers of the kids that I work with. Having a support system is so important....just to know that someone else out there has some of the same challenges is comforting! You also have some great ideas and tricks...and your "how to spot a parent of a child with SPD" make me laugh out loud:) If you ever have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to message me:) Take care!

    Leslie M.

    ReplyDelete